S. Korean military says no DPRK provocation sign detected yet
Thursday 10th of August
SEOUL, Aug. 10 : (Xinhua) South Korea's military said Thursday that no sign was detected yet of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s possible provocations.
Roh Jae-cheon, spokesman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), told a press briefing that there was currently no specific move related to a direct provocation, saying the South Korean military was maintaining a defense readiness against the DPRK's possible provocation.
Asked about how to respond to possible DPRK provocation, the spokesman said the full defense preparedness was maintained, based on the South Korea-U.S. combined defense posture, declining to elaborate further.
His comments followed the DPRK's warning earlier in the day of its missile launch plan targeting the waters off the U.S. island of Guam in the Pacific to be presented to top DPRK leader Kim Jong Un by mid-August.
Gen. Kim Rak Gyom, commander of the Strategic Force of the Korean People's Army (KPA) of the DPRK issued the warning in a statement carried by the DPRK's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
The belligerent rhetoric from the DPRK came as U.S. President Donald Trump said earlier this week that the DPRK would be met with "fire and fury" if the country continues threats against the United States.
In July, the DPRK test-fired what it called an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), known as Hwasong-14, twice.The UN Security Council unanimously adopted a new resolution toughening sanctions on Pyongyang, which bans mineral and seafood exports of the country.